- 1.Mix mince ingredients together and add just enough boiling water to rehydrate the mince - about 1 cup and let it sit for 5 min.
- 2.Fry the onion and garlic on medium heat until glassy. Add the mince mixture, stir and fry for a minute. Add two tins of chopped tomatoes and cook. Taste and adjust seasoning if need be. It should be moist, but not too wet, cook off the excess moisture.
- 3.Slice brinjals into ½ cm thick rounds – soak in salt water for a ½ hour. Rinse well and fry in a bit of oil in a non-stick pan until nicely browned on the outside.
- 4.Make 3 cups of cheese sauce with your choice of milk (follow instructions on the box).
- 6.Line the bottom of the oven proof dish with a bit of olive oil
- 7.Add a layer of lasagne sheets.
- 8.Add half of the mince
- 9.Add half of the brinjals – create a layer
- 10.Layer half of the spinach
- 11.Add 1 1/2 cups of cheese sauce – spread over whole dish
- 12.Layer of lasagne sheets
- 14.Top with a layer of lasagne sheets.
- 15.Cover with tinfoil or a lid.
- 16.Bake at 180 degrees for about 30-40 min until lasagne is soft.
- 17.Top with Meltme or Mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with dried thyme / oregano and paprika.
- 18.Cover loosely and add back into oven for 5-10 min until cheese is melted.
- 19.Open and grill for a few minutes to brown.
- 20.Get stuck in – serve with a side salad or krauts.
- 21.Side notes / Tips:
- 22.If you're in a rush and need this to cook quickly, pre-boil the lasagne sheets for about 5 min. Make sure that the sheets do not stick together. If you prefer more lasagne sheets per capita, you’ll need to add more lasagne sheets layers.
No reviews for this Recipe
- Mince mixture:
- 2 cups soya mince (dry plain)
- 2 TBSP chicki spice (or your favourite mixed spice)
- 1-2 onions
- 1 clove of garlic (optional)
- a small bunch of parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 packets lasagne sheets
- 2 punnets of brinjals / 3 large or 6 small
- Irene's Cheese sauce powder
- Plant milk of your choice
- 1 block of Irene's Meltme or Mozzarella cheese
- A few sprinkles dried thyme / oregano / paprika